UoB Biology & Biochemistry second/final year module option reviews
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
BiochemStudent

Really good unit, would recommend Empty Really good unit, would recommend

Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:56 pm
I really liked this unit, it introduced me to a lot of interesting topics/new areas of research - the topics include cancer immunology, autoimmunity, vaccines, allergies, etc.

In the first week you pick a partner, each pair is assigned another pair to form a group of four and you are randomly assigned a topic and a date to present. You must pick a recently published paper in the area of your assigned topic and present it to the rest of the unit, describing the methods used and the results, critically analysing the paper, describing the context of the research, and suggesting future work. The presentation is worth 40% of your grade.

Each week you have to watch the seminars, and fill out a form with a take home message and a question you would ask to the presenters. This form makes up your participation grade which is worth 20%.

The final 40% is for an article written in the style of a Nature News article. It was 1000 words long and this year we did it on the immune response to COVID-19. It was due a couple of weeks before revision week.

I highly recommend this module, I found it very interesting.
Biochem999

Really good unit, would recommend Empty Re: Really good unit, would recommend

Mon May 03, 2021 5:49 pm
Did you do x2 Group B (seminar) modules in the second semester? If not, how did you find the balance of exam and coursework?
Theres only one seminar module thats really caught my interest so im worried what revising for x4 exams will be like?
Thanks Smile
BiochemStudent

Tue May 04, 2021 9:38 am
I did two seminar modules and three exam modules so can't tell you how prepping for four exams would be, sorry!

Both of my seminar modules had an essay/coursework component due near the end of semester, which I think takes a similar amount of time to complete as to prepare for an exam (or a few days at least), so if you are doing 4 exams I would recommend getting the group B coursework out of the way earlier in the semester.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum