UoB Biology & Biochemistry second/final year module option reviews
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Student9

Great overview of cancer and cancer therapy Empty Great overview of cancer and cancer therapy

Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:52 pm
This is a great unit for anyone who is interested in cancer/ medicine.
Very treatment focussed but of course the biology is covered briefly before going into the treatment options.
There are 7 lectures around biology (oncogenes, tumour suppressor genes, cancer stem cells, cancer immunology, novel targets, leukaemia, angiogenesis & metastasis) and targeting these biological factors. There are then 8 chemistry lectures on chemotherapy.

Being a biomed student with a passion for cancer, I found the biology lectures interesting and fairly easy. A lot of it was covered in less depth in previous years.
The chemistry lectures were quite hard. It took some time to get used to looking at chemical structures again and the lectures were very long (and quite boring). But on revision, the chemistry content is less complicated that I previously thought so it is not too bad.

Extra reading is less of a focus in this unit. Yes you need extra reading for a first class mark, but the leaders of the unit do not throw a million papers at you for every lecture and tell you you MUST read! The lecturers on this course do a good job in guiding your extra reading (they recommend focusing on newer therapies/ future directions) and the recommended texts are manageable in number and relevant to the lectures.

I would recommend this unit if you are interested in cancer.
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum