UoB Biology & Biochemistry second/final year module option reviews
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
afa

this is one of my favourites Empty this is one of my favourites

Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:04 pm
I really enjoyed this module. It's a seminar module, so each session is made up of presentations from groups in the class and your mark is composed of your own presentation (30%), you asking questions (20%) as well as an exam (50%). If you need clarity or structure, this module has neither, but that's what makes it special. Nick Priest and Stefan Bagby literally make it up as they go along and it's down to you to work out what systems biology is, which is what I think is the main goal of the course. I wouldn't know, because I don't think Nick or Stefan do either.

You split up into groups in the first couple of sessions, then you have to create a pitch for £25m for a systems biology related approach to solve some kind of problem. Now you won't have any idea what that means or how to start and you may well be in the same position by the end of the module. That's neither good nor bad, just a fact. I don't want to give too much away because I think that would spoil the module.

If you enjoy trying to understand strange ideas and piecing together puzzles, and my god is this module one, then this is the course for you. If you are looking for a straightforward ride to graduation, and I fell you, maybe give this one a miss. But I can only recommend this module. Remember you have to present as well, which can be off-putting, but it's also a good opportunity to practise. Nick and Stefan constantly remind everyone as well that a good question makes the speakers look good, so everyone is on your side.
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum