UoB Biology & Biochemistry second/final year module option reviews
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
N/A123

I liked it Empty I liked it

Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:42 pm
This is a seminar module, which means there aren't lectures as such, but each class is made up of a presentation given by the students in the module. You get marked on the content and style of your presentation, your participation in other seminars (i.e. asking questions) and there is also a 500 word essay about the contribution of structural biology techniques to biotechnology and medicine which imo is a bit bullshit but hey it's better than a 5000 word essay.

Personally, I enjoy both structural biology and presenting, so this is right up my street, but if neither of things are for you, maybe steer clear. The module is run by Ravi Acharya and Stefan Bagby and I think they're both pretty fair judges. I also enjoyed the opportunity to really get into depth on the topic I chose whilst putting together my seminar. You choose your field from a list in the first session. I can't remember the full list, but mine was protein engineering and therapeutics. Then at some point you have to select a specific paper you want to discuss that will form the basis of your seminar.

In case you're wondering, when uni went off campus, we instead recorded our presentations and submitted them online, which was kind of weird, but fingers crossed we get some sympathy marks for it! Our participation mark was frozen from that point forward as well.
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum